Hawaii

Hawaii

Monday, September 1, 2008

A weekend in the Adirondacks Day 1

Good morning everyone! I have so many stories, I better start at the beginning. When we parted ways last time (and by we I mean my computer and I), I was headed to start my Labor Day weekend camping with my parents.

Day 1:
After classes and work on Friday I drove to see Hannah, in order to deliver the ice cream pie and to say goodbye. She left to go back to school this weekend, so I won't be seeing her for quite some time. In true fashion, she and I hung out in the registration booth for an hour, at the campsite I was at for those two weeks. We always have fun, no matter what ruckus we're causing, and this time was no different. I hadn't seen her since we checked out, and it was wonderful to reconnect. I had to hit the road though, as my parents were expecting me, so we hugged warmly and parted ways.

Calling my parents to let them know I was on the road they asked me if I would mind meeting them in Paul Smiths, NY. I'm including a map so those of you not from this area have some idea where I mean. It's all small towns so, I wouldn't be surprised...


View Larger Map

The drive to Paul Smiths was very interesting. My father texted me directions (don't be too surprised, I'm sure he had mom do the actual texting), but there was a small hiccup in the path, causing quite a few phone calls between the caravans. We met at the Adirondack Visitor Interpretive Center, a gorgeous location for hiking in the woods. I'm including the map for there as well. We took the Heron Marsh Trail, to the Shingle Mill Falls Trail, up to the Forest Ecology Trail.



All three of us had cameras, so we moseyed along stopping to take pictures frequently. The trails pass in and out of the woods, at times crossing over the marshy ponds with long dock-like bridges and boardwalks. It was beautiful. I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure the mountain you can see in the photos is Mt. Azure, with the fire tower atop it. While on our hike we managed to find dozens of mushroom/fungi species growing throughout. I took pictures of quite a few, but it was just amazing, the different plant life.

Along the trail we stopped to read from the pamphlets and Mom found the word "Mugwump" which is the Native American name for Bitterns, a kind of wading bird. Mom says that will be the name of one of her grandchildren "Mugwump, get over here!" Later during the weekend we came across the town of Wawbeek, which made mom declare one of the grandkids should be named that. For those of you following along at home Mom and Dad have no grandchildren, nor are there any currently on the way so...

After finishing our hikes we popped the hatch on the car, and sat in the back feasting on grapes, fresh veggies, crackers and cheese. A delicious snack. Driving in tandem we made are way back to camp to start dinner. Unfortunately our gorgeous bonfire did not agree with our eating schedule and it took a good three hours just to get the food to cook, but let me tell you... at 9:30pm sweet corn, steak, fresh veggies, and potatoes taste absolutely delicious!

While drifting off that evening, snuggled up in my sleeping bag, Mom and Dad called my attention to the loon calling in the lake. Amazing sound. A little less than amazing when it continued at 4am...

I'll continue with the other days in a few hours...

No comments: