First, my apologies for not keeping up with my posting! Most evenings if I'm working I either work late, or when I get home I'm just too pooped to think much!! No wise cracks about not being able to think regularly.
Tuesday afternoon I borrowed one of the government vehicles to pick up my uniform from the warehouse. With my uniform came my brand new flat hat (think Smokey the Bear) and the belt that goes around it. So Wednesday morning I went to morning meeting so I could learn how to tie the belt on the hat. A bit of Arts and Crafts!! Running home to get changed back into my uniform, I went back to work for a later shift. With our star parties going on those of us working the party are scheduled until late in the evening.
Since I had such a late schedule my lunch was scheduled from 3:30-4:30pm. I had been hanging out near the main Visitor's Center, so I took my lunch inside. Chatting with my coworkers and friends, answering the phone when everyone else was busy, and generally just loving being in this place. I hated to leave, but I did have to go to my next duty!
As the star party was that evening I was working on getting people where they needed to go, directing traffic at times, and answering questions. In the span of a few minutes I had two cars pull up needing help. These two cars were different because the people inside were deaf, and I spoke and signed with them. I miss signing!!
A bit later I was freezing my butt off, so I was jumping around in my post. Two guys walked past in t-shirts and shorts, so I asked "Aren't you cold?". Their response? "No! We're from Buffalo!" How wonderful! They were actually from the town over from mine. We chatted for a bit. I've met quite a few people from back home area.
After work I hung out for a bit at Headquarters doing some reading while I waited for my cousin to get out of work. By the time I got home I could barely stand up any more!!
Every other week we work 4 days instead of 5. This week was my 4 day week, so Thursday was my "Friday". In the afternoon I was doing my rounds when I came across some gentlemen sitting on a bench. I chatted with them for a bit when they asked if I knew of anywhere they could get a small version of the Grand Canyon to take home. Not knowing of a place to get one they asked me if I'd like to join in their business venture to make one. From there the conversation went on to talk about Topology. Why yes, I do have random conversations with visitors about Hausdorff spaces, and how Hausdorff spaces do not necessarily imply a space is normal!
Friday morning my roommate and I drove to Flagstaff to run our errands, pick up groceries, and in general cause a ruckus. After a bit of an issue with her car, we ended up staying a bit longer than we planned, but made up for it by having a delicious lunch. Veggie burger that makes you melt!! Friday evening there was a block/going away party not too far from our house, so we went over there to hang out for a bit. It was nice to chat with folks outside of work, and just hang out with the girls. I'm loving living here; have you noticed yet?
Some days I have a lot of motivation. Today was one of those days (at least in the morning). After packing up my things I hiked down to the Bright Angel Trailhead, and took off for 3 mile house. Quite literally, 3-mile house is 3 miles down Bright Angel Trail. I was hoping to make it down there in an hour and a half, hang out for a bit, and then turn around and hike out. The hike down took a little over an hour. Reaching 3-mile house I walked out to find a rock, sat, and ate some Frosted Mini-Wheats and roasted almonds. Odd snack you may say, but it's got the right nutrients you lose on that hike.
For the next two hours I hiked out, stopping every so often for a picture or two (to be posted shortly), some water, or to move out of the way as the mules pass. Just past mile-and-a-half house it began to rain. Did you know there are very distinct forms of rain? Rain that falls in large drops and soaks you through is what I'm used to back home. But here we have what I call misty rain. Basically you get soaked, but the droplets are so miniature. The rain felt great on the hike up as it was getting to be about noon, and toasty.
By the time I reached the top I was pretty soaked through. Thankfully my roommate kindly picked me up at the trailhead and I quickly jumped in the shower. On the hike you basically end up covered in redish dust from your knees on down, in your shoes. So taking a shower is a must!!
For this afternoon we're hanging out watching movies and working on some things inside the house. Just a lazy Saturday afternoon! We'll that's all for now. More adventures to come!!
Oh before I forget, the reason this post is called "Canyon Wren" is because I heard one on my hike. When I got home I asked my roommate what is was (and imitated the call). Thankfully she's a bird biologist so I have a name for that lovely bird.
No comments:
Post a Comment