You probably assume I know how to walk, and have been doing so for a long time. In this case, you'd be wrong. Very wrong. Last evening after spending all day on my feet, I managed to trip inside our house. And not just trip. Trip and fall flat on my stomach and forearms (while carrying my computer), like a ton of bricks. It is rather hilarious I think. I wasn't seriously injured, and my computer is just fine. I'm a bit sore though.
Anyway, I decided to tempt fate and walk more today! This morning I headed out towards Park Headquarters to start my hike of the day. There's a path that runs along the rim cutting into the village and back out again. Equipped with water, my camera, a backpack, journal (and a pen!), and trail mix consisting of goldfish and natural almonds, I begin my trek. It was about 10am when I left the house.
Along the way I stopped and took a great deal of pictures, even asking a kind teenage boy and later two english girls to take my picture for me. The path from Headquarters to the Village is about a mile. Not long, with great views along the way. Stopping in the village for water and the WC.
My end goal was to get to Hermits Rest, at the far end of the Rim Trail. The distance from the village to Hermits Rest is 7.8 miles. Add on the mile from Headquarters, and the 2 miles down from my house, I was attempting 10.8 miles. I hiked the first 1.4 miles and was surprised I hadn't gone further. I kept going through Maricopa Point, onto Powell Point, Hopi Point, Mohave Point, and finally The Abyss. My legs were killing me and my feet hurt so I decided not to try hiking the final 3 miles. Instead I jumped on the shuttle (okay more like shuffled onto the shuttle) and road it the rest of the way to Hermits Rest.
Grabbing a bottle of water and a WC break I took a few more pictures, and finally jumped on the shuttle again to make my way home. I walked in our front door around 4pm. Six hours out and about! Right now I'm loading up pictures from my day which will soon be posted. I'm rather exhausted and tomorrow is my first day of training, so I'll probably call it an early night.
No comments:
Post a Comment