This post is for my adventures on Friday, June 12th.
On some days as part of my duties I go hiking down to Cedar Ridge and back up. Cedar Ridge is on the South Kaibab Trail, about 3 miles round trip, with a change of 1,000 feet in elevation. It's a really awesome hike, though I'm likely to be breathing quite heavily on the way back up.
In preparation for today's hike on down to Cedar Ridge I borrowed my cousin's hiking poles (they look a lot like ski poles) and had two Nalgene bottles of water; one for myself, one to pour out for visitors without enough water. Hopping the shuttles out to the trailhead I called in to dispatch to let them know I was headed down. It's something we do so they can make sure we're all safe. On one of the shuttles I met two couples who were also planning on a hike. They asked me if I was a student, and then what I was studying. When I told them mathematics, the one gentleman said he was surprised it wasn't really related to the Grand Canyon, but he was glad they could "Count on you." I laughed, and his friends just rolled their eyes.
The trip down didn't take me too long, an hour at most. About halfway down you find "Ooh Ahh Point". For those of you who haven't figured out the meaning behind that name... it's because you stand at that point and say "Ooooooh Ahhhhhh!!" As usual, groups going by asked me to take their picture for them. You didn't know photographer was in my job title, did you? After taking one groups' picture they saw my camera and asked if I wanted my picture taken! I laughed and said sure, knowing my parents and sisters would love to see me in full uniform.
One of my main tasks on the hike is to make sure everyone going by has enough water for whatever trip they are planning on taking, and enough salty snacks. On the hike out of the canyon I was able to stop every so often to ask those going by these questions. It helped me catch my breath.
Back up top I called in to dispatch again, and found a place to sit where people going to the trailhead would walk by. I had already refilled one person's water supply on the trail with my extra bottle, and as the day progressed I knew more and more people would be starting on their way down. It's surprising the number of people who wear flip flops, or who bring 1 liter of water to supply 4 grown adults and think nothing of it. For future reference, wear good hiking shoes, hike before 10am, and bring water for each person, over the recommended amount.
At one point another ranger joined me on top of the trail and seeing a group of middle schoolers go by to take the hike he shouted to them "Hydrate or Die!" They laughed, and some looked terrified, but it is absolutely true. On the top of that trailhead there is a large placard. It says "Can you run a marathon? This young woman did in X amount of time, and she died in the canyon." It's true, and the family of the young woman asked to have those placards put around the rim trails. Just because you can run marathons, or just because you climbed the Alps, it does not mean you can hike in to the canyon and back out.
After getting back to HQ I ran home for lunch and took a quick shower. Heading back to HQ I was stationed on the front desk for a few hours. I answered the telephones, handed out information to people coming in, and even got a few young people ready to be junior rangers! I love talking to the public. It's a lot of fun, and they are usually very receptive to the information I have for them.
I forgot to mention, on Thursday I was working at the Train Depot, and afterwards roving around the trail by El Tovar. Just near there the Environmental Education table is set up. Lending a hand there I watched a 19-20 year old Army Soldier bust his butt in an hour and a half to finish the Junior Ranger program and get his badge. He was one of the funniest guys who has come up to our table.
Back to Friday... Jumping on a bus to go in to the village for my next duty I am met by no one else but the bus driver who nicknamed me Special K! Together we informed and entertained the bus passengers. There were two couples speaking French near the front of the bus. One of them leaned over and in English asked me what was on the front of the bus. In French I responded it was for bicycles. You should have seen the look on this woman's face! She fully understood what I meant, and I think she was grateful I had spoken in French. A little later they asked again in English some piece of information relating to the time it took to get some place. I again responded in French. Just as I was about to get off the bus they asked to take my picture, first by myself, and then with the bus driver. It was pretty hilarious.
Getting off the bus (at the protest of the bus driver) I saw the family I had given water to earlier on the South Kaibab Trail. They chatted with me for a while, and I was able to answer their questions. It is really neat being recognized by visitors, and seeing the same families time and time again. They often say "Hey you were on the bus yesterday!" or something to that effect.
After I had finished my duties and was headed to go home a car pulled up in front of HQ to ask me a question. I never really mind answering questions before I start work or afterwards. It isn't a chore or anything. The interaction with people is incredibly positive, and even if it is the 50th time I've been asked what time is sunset, or where can I go to eat, it's never boring.
"Weekends" for employees in the Park Service are any span of two days you have off in a row. My "weekends" actually fall on the weekend, as do one of my roommate's. In celebration of a great week, we had a great dinner and spent part of the evening relaxing in a hot tub. What a great end to the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment