Hawaii

Hawaii

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day Five

I can't believe it is day five already! Wow, that time has flown by. This morning I woke nice and toasty, thanks to some brilliant thinking by my mom. It was very cold last night, so I took my sleeping bag, put it inside of my parents sleeping bags, and piled blankets on top. Of course getting out of bed was a bear, but I didn't mind waking up toasty.

While driving to work this morning (extra early as I wanted to get some things done), I came across the first river crossing to find it covered in fog. Deep fog, the kind that lingers well into the morning, until from one side of the bridge you could barely make out green hue of the evergreens on the other side of the river. I wanted to take a few pictures of it, so I parked the car at a little church and walked up to the bridge. Every time I turned to look at another part of the river the fog moved, shifting, and revealing another rapid, or another branch. Nature provides the perfect symphonic poetry available in this world. I've posted pictures of that. Sorry I haven't taken as many pictures lately. I've been less adventurous after my ankle sprain, and haven't had the same amount of time.

Yesterday a brand new Walmart open nearby. Keep in mind the next closest Walmart is a good 45-50 minutes away, so needless to say, there was quite a lot of hullabaloo. I went there last night to buy some hot dogs, and mac and cheese for dinner. Actually, right now I'm eating my leftovers for lunch! Delicious with ketchup. While making my dinner last night I realized I didn't have any hot dog pokers, so instead I used some 12 inch skewers, and held them over the open flame. I'm sure my next-camp neighbors were highly confused, as I kept bending down, standing up, moving quickly away from the fire, and then going back. It was a bit buggy, both of my hands were full, and the fire was hot. Funny combination.

Today is my second day of work, and I want to let you all know I love it! I'm working on teaching some tech courses, and I have a few weeks to plan. I've already developed the course materials, and I'm working on some assessment measures using the computer. I've got some great ideas just budding in my head for things to do throughout the school year, and I hope I can.

I also want to thank you all for you comments, through email and on here. I am far away from my family and friends, and knowing you all are sharing in this adventure with me makes me feel a little more at home being away.

The quote for today has to deal with friends and family:
"Sometimes our hearts get tangled, And our souls a little off-kilter, Friends and family can set us right, And help guide us back to the light." - Sera Christann

No comments: