Hawaii

Hawaii

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day One

Well today marks the first day of the camping experience.  Yesterday we drove up, set up camp, and had a wonderful bonfire.  It was not without its hazards though...

At around 9:30am yesterday morning I went to go put some gas in my car for the trip.  Unfortunately my father had been packing his car at the same time, so when I backed out of the driveway, I backed directly into his open passenger door.  I cracked my tail light, and broke his door pretty significantly.  Hours later the dealer had basically used a few bungee cords to hold it shut, and we were on the road.  Other than that it was a pretty uneventful 5 hours trip up.

My campsite is in a beautiful section of the Adirondacks, on a river.  I'll have some pictures of that soon.  Last night we had a nice and toasty campfire, crucial in the frigid evening, and made some Reuben bo-bo pies on it.  Delicious!  Granted after the long trip, and setting up camp, I'm pretty sure just about anything would taste delicious.

Currently I'm holed up in a local cafe with wireless internet.  Unfortunately the campus is closed for the weekend, and as I needed to get online I had to venture into town.  Imagine the following:  the town is older, all buildings made of sandstone, and the main drag is only about two blocks long.  Small stores crowd the lower floors of the buildings, the tops house rentals.  There's the small music store, brimming out over the main street with discount CDs and DVDs.  There's the "green" store, with cloth diapers and all organic produce.  The small coffee houses, all two of them.  The barber shop, usually crowded with older gentlemen, with constant commentary on the passersby.  The green ivy growing over every building, trimmed away from the windows.  The nearby river running along behind the main drag, bringing with it a cool breeze.  Today is overcast, with every so often a mist-like rain falling lightly.  It's quite poetic, and wonderful.

Okay I've got to finish up some items before they kick me out!

Quote of the day, it appeals to both the nature and math parts of me: "Nature is an infinite sphere of which the center is everywhere and the circumference is nowhere." - Blaise Pascal

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thinking you are one spectacular niece -- and human being - and child of God....enjoy every single moment tehre, safely, uncle r.

Mommerdom said...

What you neglect to share is that Saint Dad did not blow his cool when there were two cars down for the count on the same no fault insurance policy. The only calming force is the memory of all the incredibly stupid accidents the rest of the family has experienced. Welcome to the club. It's taken a long time for you to join the ISDC- incredibly stupid drivers club. Thanks for the memories!