Hawaii

Hawaii

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Days Seven and Eight

First, my apologies for not writing yesterday. I moved all of my things into my new place, and set up "house" as it is. I'm a bit sore today from all the lifting, as my building does not have an elevator. Anyway, after I finished unpacking for the day I drove back out to camp. The cell tower in the town by the state park is down, so I have no service out there. I had picked up the book Eragon before going out, and spent a bit reading. Deciding to go for a bike ride, I rode out to the beach, stayed there for a few, before deciding to bike up to the registration booth to ask about a local waterfall I wanted to go check out. The bike ride up to the registration booth was just that... up. It's a long steady climb from the campsites up to the booth, and it wasn't all that fun, though the slower pace did give me the opportunity to look into the woods and see some amazing birds. Once at the booth I chatted with Hannah for a while; a few hours. We had fun cracking jokes, drawing pictures, and discussing life and watermelons. At one point we looked outside to see the sunset's reflection up some clouds. We took pictures, and those will be posted soon. It was a blast. I took off just before dusk so I wouldn't be biking back in the dark, and the way home was a blast! Downhill nearly the whole way. Couple that with some great tunes, and it made for a wonderful, exhilarating ride. Back at camp I continued reading and got nearly a third of the way through the book. I had to leave it at my site, otherwise I would've read it today and had nothing to read tonight when I got back out to camp. It's a fantastic book!

Today I woke early, as always, and drove back into town to set up my place and finish unpacking. I love my new place, and it's really looking great. While unpacking I donked my dome, as my mom would say, on the bar in the closet. This morning while washing my hair the crown of my head felt supremely tender. With the numbers of bruises and scrapes you'd think I was an 8 year old kid, fearless. Alas... I'm just clumsy!

Well I haven't much else to say, as I feel the pictures give you all much greater detail than my words could muster. I do have a short writing I did the other evening sitting at the campsite. Enjoy...

Somewhere in the distance the river rumbles; at times as simply a low vibration, other times when the winds are right, as an enveloping percussion, complex and powerful. A campfire up the way drifts to my down-wind location, perfume of smoke, burnt marshmallows, and melted chocolate. The air is comfortable, varying between the warmth of the sun, and the chill of the breeze. A blue jay squawks in protest upon the arrival of a few joyous youths racing downhill on bicycles. His brilliant blue hue is mirrored in the heavens above. Clouds as white as fresh snow drift lazily by. Peeking in and out between the tall evergreens, these vaporous creations coax the mind to daydream. Knobby pines guard this respite, stories tall, scars and growth towering, with humbling effect. Stubs of branches jut out, at concentric angles, spiraling upwards. The perfect tools for scaling these ladders, they remain just out of reach. Sounding like the piercing whir of a weed-wacker, insects call and chime across the greens, invisible except for their songs.

Well I'm off to fold some laundry, then find some chili to make for dinner. I miss you all a great deal.

I'm sorry, I forgot my quote of the day. I'll add it now. Today's quote comes from one of my favorite musicals, AIDA (not the opera, though that is good as well). Most of you know I love music, all kinds. As this computer currently houses 5582 songs, you can imagine there is a great variety. Anyway... I'm surprised I haven't quoted music before.

"We all lead such elaborate lives, Wild ambitions in our sights, How an affair of the heart survives, Days apart and hurried nights, Seems quite unbelievable to me, I don't want to live like that, Seems quite unbelievable to me, I don't want to love like that, I just want our time to be, Slower and gentler, wiser, free." -Elaborate Lives, AIDA

No comments: