Hawaii

Hawaii

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day Four

If text could demonstrate the amount I was shivering when I woke up this morning, I would be ecstatic. Since it cannot (I won't turn it blue and make it shaky), I'll just describe. Last night the temperature was around... 45-50 ºF, though it seemed much more impressive when the radio meteorologist said "11º". I was up at 6am, again woken by mother nature, as opposed to any alarm clock. With a hooded sweatshirt, with the hood pulled up, long pants, a sleeping bag, and two wool blankets, you would've thought I was a toasty as a cup of hot chocolate. Tonight I'm thinking of putting one sleeping bag within another. We'll see how that does!

Yesterday after I left school I drove back to my campsite, and decided to pick up some ice from the ranger station. My friend, Hannah, was there again and was weeding the garden. So I decided to lend a hand. We had a good time laughing about the gardens, the things we thought might be weeds, but weren't sure, and books. When campers needed her assistance I left, though she did offer that I could just stay. I told her I'd just jump onto that side of the counter.

My mom says I have my father to thank for that, which I do. Those of you who know my dad are probably well aware that no matter where we go he seems to make friends. And once they are his friends, it's for life. Being friendly, kind, and open-hearted has served me well in the past, and I'm glad it is still.

Last night was a rather quiet evening. I didn't go on a bike ride, as my ankle had swollen more, and was painful to walk on (insert wisecrack from mom in which she says "why would you walk on your ankle? Most people walk on their feet."). I was able to finish reading Randy Pausch's book "The Last Lecture". For those of you who haven't read it, I suggest you go out right now and by it. A great meditation piece on life.

At some points in our lives we are forced to reflect upon our past, past loves, past pain, past joy, and how it exists still. We have all been hurt in the past, when we've opened our hearts to joy or love, and had it handed back to us in pieces. I can honestly say I wouldn't go back and change any component of my life, even those that caused such a depth of pain and re-evaluation, because those parts made me who I am. And I am joyous for that person. There will be times in the future, uncertain and filled with doubt, but no matter those times they are outweighed by the magnitude and joy of the times of purpose. As mom says, always focus on the positive. Life isn't about forgetting things in your past that you've lost, loves or friends. It is about remembering those things, with quiet contemplation, being thankful for your current development, and knowing and demanding of yourself the want and accept nothing less than what you are worth.

For those of you who aren't aware, today marks my first day of work up here. I'm nervously excited, as I guess I always am the first day of anything. Please keep me in your thoughts!

Quote of the day. I picked this one, for the short diversion I took earlier in this post about love, remembering the past, but living in the present. "You must live through the time that everything hurts." -Stephen Spender

No comments: