Well we are on to day two, and you'll all be happy to know (or you'd better be happy to know!) I made it through the night. It was very cold last night, so I woke up with a bit of a sore throat. Yesterday was a treat, letting nature rediscover me, being reminded of the kindness and generosity of strangers, and forging new connections. The road leading from town back to camp is about 30 minutes, and crosses over a river around 3-4 times. On the way home yesterday afternoon I stopped at each one of these crossings, parked the car, and got out to take pictures. I've zoomed past these spots at least a dozen times, but yesterday I took the time to explore a little. And what I found was amazing!! At the first stop I found a little hidden state park which allowed me to walk to the base of a large power dam in the river. The water spilling over it was extremely powerful as it crashed upon everything. At the top of the dam the water was placid, looking a bit like glass until just before the fall. Polar opposites, and yet contained within the same fluid. It's a powerful statement upon life and this world to see this transitions. Within each person there exists great strength, great power, and great hope. When given an opportunity where we our lives are defined by our utilization of these things, we are shocked by our own potential. What happened yesterday does not determine today's outcome, but remembering with humility and hope our past accomplishments and downfalls, we can be confident that we will succeed in today.
The next stop on the way home looked more akin to a lake, rather than a river. Here while walking along the road to get a shot from the middle of the bridge I spotted something in the water swimming. It was difficult to see, but due to the color, length, and pattern it was swimming, I'd venture it was a river otter. I did a little research, and apparently they live in the rivers around here. There is a picture in the slideshow (above I believe). When I returned to camp I had an urge to go for a bike trip. So I hopped on my bike, packed my camera up, and rode around the camp. I took a few pictures, though I'm not satisfied with all of them, so there will be more to follow
For dinner last night I decided to make some goulash, minus the meat, with spinach and cheese. It was delicious! Granted I was rather hungry, but still. After dinner I decided to burn a few pieces of wood, and my paper bowl from dinner. I didn't really care for a huge fire, so I didn't mind when it wouldn't start much, but I took to fanning it with a plate while I read my book. The family camping across the way saw me fanning for a while, and came over with some lighter fluid. The kindness didn't surprise me, as I had already been faced with it many times yesterday. When grocery shopping I was in the way of one woman, and I didn't realize it. When I turned around I apologized, and she smiled brightly telling me it wasn't a problem at all. No one is in a rush, and every one seems genuinely happy to interact with me. I love it.
On my way to pick up some ice last evening for the cooler I saw a white-tailed doe and her fawn eating in a field behind the shower house. Stopping the car (obviously this would have been much more difficult had I not), I grabbed my camera and slowly approached them. I took a picture, walked five steps, waited until they were comfortable with me, took another, and repeated the process. They let me get pretty close, which was awesome.
Today I have to run a few errands, but then I'm hoping to make it back to the campsite in time to do some more exploring on my bike, and take some more pictures. The colors here are amazing, and I fear the pictures won't do them justice. In any case, something about being in the middle of nature relaxes and releases me. It doesn't matter what tomorrow brings yet, for now I am secure and happy in living today.
Quote of the day, this one about water: "Nothing in the world is more flexible and yielding than water. Yet when it attacks the firm and the strong, none can withstand it, because they have no way to change it. So the flexible overcome the adamant, the yielding overcome the forceful. Everyone knows this, but no one can do it." - Lao Tzu
No comments:
Post a Comment